[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  monkey at roningamer dot com
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP Question
 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:24:51 -0400
>> the problem i am having here is when i connect remotely to the VPN I can
>ping
>> and connect to computers on the LAN by their IP address but not their
>NetBIOS
>> name. Am I setting up my firewall wrong? Or is there something else I need
>> do?
>>
>> Additionally I am using the built in VPN Client in Windows XP to Connect.
>
>I *guess* it's that Windows retrieves the NetBIOS names somwehere from your
>client's network, and not from the network which you access though VPN.
>
>I have a similar setup here, but I use only IP addresses to connect to
>anything through the VPN, because it's more reliable in any case (based on
>my expereinces with NT4 and earlier...;-)). As a workaround, you could so
>the same. Simply tell the m0n0wall's DHCP server to assign fixed IP
>addresses to certain MAC addresses, and you'll find the machines with the
>easily memorable IP addresses instead of funny names ;-)
>
>Best regards, Klaus
>This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg

Therein may lie another problem. all the IP addresses here are static, we are not using DHCP
internally (thats not to say DHCP isnt enabled). its just easier for the others who will be using
this network to remember the computer name rather than have to remember an IP or have to open up a
spreadsheet every time they want to know which computer is which. also changing shortcuts and
everything set up in software with a computer name instead of an IP on 12 or so computers would be a
large hassle.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has any kind of idea to solve this issue it would be
greatly appriciated.