[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Francois Boulanger" <francois dot boulanger at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0 under VMWare as a "real" firewall?
 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:02:46 -0400
MSN Messenger did not work, e-mail I did not try (Gmail. nothing more to
say!)

I tried using good ol' telnet, that didn't work either. Actually, as far as
telnet goes, the connection is accepted, but afterwards nothing happens.

I also tried sniffing the traffic on both adapters using Ethereal; The
initial connection seems to work (syn-synack-ack) but the connection from
m0n0 to the requested website gets reset afterwards. I still need to look
more into that; my TCP/IP skills are, well, far from optimal!

Also, I noticed that a lot of requests coming from the LAN (including
requests from the VMWare host itself) were rejected by m0n0. That seemed
odd, considering I did not setup any rules to block outgoing LAN traffic....
I'll look into that and post my findings and logs here.

Both of my NICs are built-in on my board; I'm using a MSI Platinum Neo2
Board, that has a built-in Nforce NIC and a built-in Gigabit NIC (forgot the
brand of the chipset).

I'll try swapping the NICs, who knows, that might do the trick.....

Thanks!