[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 Wiki problem
 Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:49:17 -0400
On 9/20/06, Christopher M. Iarocci <iarocci at eastendsc dot com> wrote:
> I was looking at the wiki at John Voigt's information about graphing
> bandwidth usage per lan host.  I saw there were thousands of responses
> to the post.  Unfortunately, almost every one was some spammer trying to
> get me to go to their porn website.  I know it's a wiki, and generally
> open to all, but is there a way to prevent any idiot from doing that?

I changed it a while back to not accept anonymous comments, but never
had a chance to clean up the mess that was already there.  I got rid
of the remaining existing spam ealrier this week.

Occasionally a bot will come by that creates a new account and spams
pages, but that hasn't been much of an issue to date.  The wiki we use
is dead simple to setup, but not nearly as full featured or robust as
some other options like Mediawiki.  Unless the spam becomes a bigger
issue, though, I don't plan on changing anything.  More effort than
it's worth, since it doesn't get used much.  That's time that could be
better spent on other things.

If you notice any other issues with the wiki, let me know.

-Chris