[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Commisso <jemc at bluefrog dot com>
 To:  Ethan Bonick <ethan at networkinggeeks dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSec client x64 Windows
 Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:51:57 -0400
Ethan Bonick wrote:
> I recently built a new machine and without thinking about it put x64
> version of Windows on it. I have not been able to find any ipsec vpn
> client to use with m0n0wall. Does anyone know of one or am I stuck
> with pptp?
>
> Thanks,
> Ethan

Ethan,

I just asked about the same question yesterday in the thread with this
subject:
"Is it possible to ipsec vpn from mobile winxp to m0n0?"
It looks to me like "Safenet Remote LT" is about the only thing out
there that I know of, which is $149.
Common sense tells me that there could be another way, but I don't know
about it.
Jason just sent me another reply stating that it is also available in a
"netgear branded version" for about $40.
So I am setting up PPTP and have tested that to work.
I would really like more security though and am thinking of buying the
Safenet vpn, but not jumping into it right away.
 From what I gather, PPTP sends the username & password in plain text?
I'm not positive, but I think that's the case.
I plan on advising my two vpn users to access the web gui of m0n0wall
and turn off PPTP when not needed so to keep it more secure and to only
turn it on when needed.
It's still under discussion (here and in the above thread).

That's where I'm at on this,
Joe