[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ethan Bonick <ethan at networkinggeeks dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is it possible to ipsec vpn from mobile winxp to m 0n0?
 Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:57:00 -0500
Sonicwall does have a client it used to be a customized SN client, but
now its something called Global VPN Client. Only the SSL VPN doesn't
have a client and if you need full access I think it still requires the
full ipsec client. I know both Nokia and Aventail both have full clients
for their ssl vpn when you need unrestricted access.

Right now I am having trouble with Sonicwall at work with their ipsec
vpn. All of a sudden half the time it connects but doesn't let you
access anything on the remote network. Sonicwall is stumped since it
just started happening after having it configured and working since May.
It has been like this for about a month and even flashing the unit did
not make any difference. Their level one support sends you in circles
until you tell them it needs to be fixed now and then all level two says
is maybe your flash is corrupted. They also say that orignal flash upon
install might have been bad. Even though it has been working for months
and was done by a CDW installer. Sonicwall has a good feature set for
the price but just hope you don't have an issue.

In my opinion m0n0wall is much easier/cheaper unless Sonicwall offers
something m0n0wall doesn't that you really need. Sonicwall letting me
down on the past on a consulting job led me to m0n0wall. The sales rep
said the new firmware for a TZ170 would be out in the next couple of
weeks and it would have H.323 support. I went ahead and bought the unit
since it would be a free upgrade. Two months later they released the
firmware but it was only available enhanced firmware and it would be
another ~$200-$300  for it. Also don't buy from them unless the feature
you need is released.

At work we had been waiting for their ssl vpn appliance to be released
but they lied about the release date. At first it was a month late and
then it was that the beta would be out in about another month. Well we
stopped looking at Sonicwall's appliances and looked for other
solutions. I don't mean to say that my experience is everybody's, but
just my experience with Sonicwall both at work and with my consulting
business. YMMV.

Ethan