[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] About HDD m0n0 version
 Date:  Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:01:06 +0300
Just thought I'd add another fairly painless way to write m0n0 to a
"hard drive" that leaves you with a useful diagnostic/repair tool for
Windows when you're done:

Get the installer for the "Ultimate boot cd for Windows" from
http://www.ubcd4win.com/  and follow the easy instructions on how to
build the boot cd. You need a Windows XP install CD.

The only "non-standard step" is to create a directory somewhere on the
hard drive of the machine where you are building the boot CD and name
it whatever - "custom" might work. Copy the img file and physdiskwrite
to that directory.

In the UBCDW build window you then specify that custom directory in
the "custom directory" field when in the build phase for the boot CD.
;)

Burn the boot CD to a disc, boot from the CD and presto, a windows
environment with physdiskwrite and the img file in the root of drive
X: - just run it and you're done.

The CD can then, as I said, be used as a diagnostic tool for ailing
Windows installs among other things.

I needed the windows boot disc for other things and wound up doing the
above today and it installed m0n0 just fine on my new Transcend 256MB
IDE Flash module.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein