[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0walls built-in PPTP vs. Any other server PPTP
 Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:52:49 -0500
Hi,
I've seen this topic beat to death in older posts except I never saw any
answers to it. I'll ask again in hopes that someone has found a solution
or has ideas to assist me in my dilemma.

I have a m0n0wall PC image version 1.22 at the office serves as the
Firewall/NAT/DHCP/etc and does an awesome job.  The office also needs
for employees on the road to be able to connect back into the office
network via PPTP to work with software, etc.  In the past, we have used
an old windows 2000 machine with the default VPN and the firewall would
just forward the port from the WAN to the LAN and everything worked
fine.  I've really wanted to move away from this and let m0n0wall handle
the VPN but for the life of me can not even get it to work with one
computer.
I've read through the FAQ and all the posts I could find in the mailing
list, but I just don't know what I'm missing.

To start, I turned on the m0n0wall PPTP, setup one test user and the
assigned the gateway and PPTP ranges away from anything else. I use my
computer at home to test out the connection. When I try to connect, I
always get the famous windows error "Error: 628" when trying to
connect.  If I set m0n0wall to forward back to the internal VPN server,
everything works fine, switch back over to the m0n0wall VPN and it
doesn't work? I don't know what else to try. I've worked with many
devices and PPTP setups and it's really straight forward, I don't know
what else I could be missing?

Is there a way I can troubleshoot why forwarding a VPN on m0n0wall
works, but using m0n0wall's own VPN will not?  My home setup has a
m0n0wall firewall/NAT as well using another PC image version 1.22   I'm
certainly from what I read that you can PPTP out of m0n0wall (my home)
to another PPTP on another m0n0wall (at the office) or have I missed
something? All the office employees use Windoze XP so I have an exact
setup at home to duplicate this without success. I just can't seem to
get Windoze to connect to m0n0wall's built in PPTP, they only seem to
like the other windows 2000 PPTP (go figure right?)

Can anyone spare me some brilliant thoughts :-)

Thanks,
Michael