[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Is it possible to ipsec vpn from mobile winxp to m 0n0?
 Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:35:10 -0500
Mark Schoonover wrote:
> Jason Collins wrote:
>> Safenet is not free, but it works extremely well.  It is also much
>> cheaper to buy the netgear branded version from their store or
>> another distributor..  You can buy a 1 or 5 user license from them
>> -- full version, not limited in any way.  It just has the netgear
>> logo on it. I think they are around $40 a seat.
>>

> Wow, I didn't know that. I purchased a couple copies of SN to use.
> The thing I don't like about it is having to configure the remote
> client, which can be 300 miles away. I'm looking at SonicWall to
> replace M0n0 in that respect. SonicWall has no fat client that gets
> installed on the remote computer, and all configuration can be done
> on the SonicWall box. I'd love to hear the experience of others in
> dealing with remote users, especially users that travel with laptops.

SonicWall does have a client that is installed on the client side. In
fact it is an other "Branded" SafeNet client. The client has be modified
and will work easier with SonicWalls. The fact that you can "export" the
settings used by the client does make configuration simpler. Using there
global configuration tools would also be a plus.

The NetGear VPN client has not been modifed (except the NetGear "N" logo
used by the apps in Programs menu) It is much more flexible than the
SonicWall version. One you setup the first mobile machine you can export
form the NetGear Client to use as a starting point for other users. You
can put the client and the spd (settings file) You can burn your own CD
with the file called IPSecPolicy.spd (it will import the settings
automatically) on a CD and mail to remote client.  Installation of the
client software is not difficult - only issue may be local
administrator. I did this for a client that had a user in Texas from
Maryland.... (I think that is over 300 miles...)

James W. McKeand