[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  "'Klaus Stock'" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dynamic pipe...virtual pipe. What's the difference?
 Date:  Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:51:15 -0400
Hi Klaus:

Thank you so much for your email.  I sincerely appreciate your input.

I apologize for not being able to reply sooner.

I like your definitions of virtual and dynamic pipes.

I noticed that on the Monowall Traffic Shaper pipe page, that Monowall calls
the pipes which are set up with masks "dynamic".  I think they would have
better been called "virtual" by Monowall, since I believe the pipes are
created and torn down according to when the host is sending data or
receiving data.  And the pipes are at the speed they were created for
(assuming there is enough BW from the upstream provider).

But...

If a pipe mask AND a queue mask was used, BW can still be assigned.  But
here the pipe is fixed BW.  It appears that the BW is virtual and dynamic,
since queues are used.

Your definitions seem to fit these conditions pretty well, if I understand
properly.

Thanks much for your kind help.

If anyone else would like to comment, you are more then welcomedl...cause
I'm still learning this Monowall...lol.

Thanks so much Klaus.