[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSEC Question
 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:30:53 +0300
On 9/27/06, James W Harrington <jamesh at thefifthrace dot com> wrote:
> This may be a crazy idea but I am looking at whether or not is possible to encrypt my wiress
traffic using a IPSEC tunnel from the Captive Portal Interface on my m0n0wall to the WAN Interface.
Currently I have approx 100 users using captive portal which rules out using WEP or WPA (I dont want
to have to keep giving out the key.. hence my use of captive portal.)

> But I was wondering if I can create what would effectivly be a site to site VPN between the two
interfaces??

From what I can read of your message (assuming I'm not
misunderstanding you), the encryption would be  from interface to
interface in that case, ie entirey internal to the firewall. I don't
know if it can be done, but I do know it would be pretty pointless -
nobody is likely to be logged in on the firewall and snooping what is
going on inside it. :)

The traffic that needs encrypting is the traffic going over the
airwaves from the wireless access point to the wireless device that is
communicating with it.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein