[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David HM Spector <spector at zeitgeist dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Packets being blocked on the LAN side...?
 Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:14:43 -0400
Until a couple of days ago I'd never seen this happen ... anyone have
any clues?

the scenario:

	ISP--------M0n0wall--------[LAN with hosts]

The monowall is set up as follows:

Basics
	0) The LAN network is a routable Class C I own, but is not announced
on the Internet (i.e., its not an RFC1918 type address)

	1) Anything on the LAN can to get to anything on the Internet (i.e.,
the default LAN rule is in place)

	2) My ISP has given me 3 additional public IPs.  All 4 (the WAN, and
the other 3) are all routed through the same gateway at the ISP,
	    and are announced to the outside directly in the case of the WAN
address or via the server NAT and Proxy ARP.

	3) The main WAN interface NATs port 80 in to one of the interior
machines for web service

	4) One of the name servers for my site is also behind the monowall
and DNS is NATed in as well.

	5) Mail is also brought into the interior also using server/inbound
NAT to yet another machine on the inside

	6 This monowall supports about 10+ IPSec VPN tunnels coming in from
various places; all of them are on RFC1918 subnets all of which are
up and running fine.

Here's were things go wonky.

	-   I tried to add another web server by using an inbound NAT rule
using one of the ServerNATs as the outside address to a new host on
the LAN

	Result:  Noting gets in.

	Odd side effect:  I see traffic trying to get OUT being blocked by
the firewall on the LAN side, like this (IP addressed redacted):

	Sep 28 00:53:42 m0n0wall ipmon[83]: 00:53:41.989857 sis0 @0:21 b
198.xx.yy.10,80 -> 72.30.98.22,48532 PR tcp len 20 40 -AR IN

Additionally I see packets being blocked on the LAN side that are
coming from my mail server...

	Sep 28 00:34:15 m0n0wall ipmon[83]: 00:34:15.220925 sis0 @0:21 b
198.xx.yy.2,25 -> 204.13.109.186,47609 PR tcp len 20 60 -AS IN

I must have dome something silly.. but for the life of me I can't see
what it is...   any input/ideas would be appreciated.

regards,
   David
-------------------
                                           David HM Spector
spector (at) zeitgeist.com
http://www.zeitgeist.com/
voice: +1 631.261.5013                                          fax:
+1 212.656.1443
                                                     ~ ~ ~
"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not
belittled, the
humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?'"

                 --H. G. Wells