[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason Collins" <jason at mammothcomputers dot com>
 To:  "James W Harrington" <jamesh at thefifthrace dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] IPSEC Question
 Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:33:34 -0500
I don't think it would be pointless at all, depending on the
circumstance.  Watchguard puts that feature into some of their firewalls
as an upgrade feature.  I think it is designed to work in conjunction
with WPA encryption or the like, not to replace it.  The point would be
that you provide an extra layer of authentication / encryption to
wireless clients before they are allowed into your trusted interface.
i.e. Ok, you are a rogue wireless client and hacked my wireless
encryption, but now, you'll need to hack my IPSEC policy too before you
get anything useful -- either from the trusted interface itself or from
our client traffic.  Just my two cents.