[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Alavoine <chris dot alavoine at imagination dot com>
 Subject:  Captive portal problem
 Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:01:39 +0100
Hi all,

First post, so please be kind ;)

Firstly, would like to congratulate Manuel and co. for creating such a
great project. Lots of thought and planning have obviously gone into
monowall and it shows.

Background to my problem: I'm setting up a hotspot for one of our
clients. Basically, they need a captive portal page where they enter a
few basics (name, email etc..) which is then passed to a CMS server (on
the LAN) running MS_SQL. The idea then is that any returning customers
are remembered via a username and let through.

Have setup a little test rig which consists of:

Dell GX1 running generic-pc-1.23b1.img version of monowall. This has
three NIC installed: xl0 (mainboard), fxp0 and fxp1.

fxp0 is LAN (192.168.1.0/24)
fxp1 is WAN (DHCP from company network, not wired up yet)
xl0 is PORTAL (192.168.11.0/24)

LAN is connected to 10mbps Accton hub, one laptop wired to this hub to
run the monowall webGUI.

PORTAL is connected to 100mbps netgear hub, D-Link DWL-900AP+ Access
Point connected to this hub. Another laptop connected wirelessly to
simulate a customer logging in.

Have turned on DHCP on the PORTAL interface and linked Captive Portal to
it also. As a test I uploaded the Cafe Hotspot HTML page included in
Tom's Networking wireless captive portal guide.

Haven't changed any other settings.

The problem: When I connect to the wireless AP I get an IP address via
DHCP, but when I open a browser I can't see the captive portal page,
just get a 'page cannot be displayed'.

PORTAL gateway (192.168.11.1) cannot be pinged.

Have tried setting up Captive Portal on the LAN interface and all works
fine so I'm guessing there's something very basic I'm missing here.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

c:)

  Imagination Ltd
  25 Store Street South Crescent, London WC1E 7BL, England
  Tel +44 (0)20 7323 3300  Fax +44 (0)20 7323 5801

  This email contains privileged and confidential information, and is
  intended only for the addressee. If you are not the named addressee
  you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.  Please
  notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
  email by mistake and please delete it from your system.