[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] About HDD m0n0 version
 Date:  Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:12:29 +0300
On 9/25/06, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:
> Lee Sharp wrote:
> > From: "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
> >
> >> Just thought I'd add another fairly painless way to write m0n0 to a
> >> "hard drive" that leaves you with a useful diagnostic/repair tool for
> >> Windows when you're done:
> >
> >> Get the installer for the "Ultimate boot cd for Windows" from
> >> http://www.ubcd4win.com/  and follow the easy instructions on how to
> >> build the boot cd. You need a Windows XP install CD.
> >
> > A good thought, and a good tool, however...  It takes FOREVER to boot
> > the damn thing!  I use Chris's Freesbie, and ftp with wget the latest
> > image. Also useful, and boots fast.
>
> Or install the image on the disk (v1.1, I think...) and upgrade to
> latest image once running...

Both probably better options if all you want to do is get the m0n0 img
onto the harddrive. I just thought I'd mention that it can be done
fairly painlessly while simultaneously getting a decent diagnostic and
recovery disc to put on the shelf in case one needs it. Sometimes you
need Windows to recover Windows.

Granted, you can readily tell that Windows wasn't meant to run off a
CD. :) But hey, it works.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein