[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan K. Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DHCP server
 Date:  Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:37:56 -0400
Actually, in a large network, multiple DHCP servers in a single logical subnet can be desirable for
fail-over purposes.  The trick is to set up multiple scopes that don't overlap, even though they may
be in the same subnet.  That way, if one of the DHCP servers fail, at least some clients will be
assigned addresses, and you'll already have a second server up and configured for adding another
scope to quickly if the first server is going to be out of commission for awhile.