[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Commisso <jemc at bluefrog dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Have vpn working: can't ping subnet but can ping lan ip
 Date:  Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:07:57 -0400
My situation:

m0n0wall is 50 miles away.
PPTP allows me to connect to the server on the m0n0 internal LAN.
ipsec connects, but when I ping the server on the m0n0 internal LAN, I get:

Reply from 10.16.1.1: Destination net unreachable.
Reply from 10.16.1.1: Destination net unreachable.
Reply from 10.16.1.1: Destination net unreachable.
Reply from 10.16.1.1: Destination net unreachable.

I have a non-static DSL connection at my home.
My DSL setup here at my home is to connect an inexpensive wired router
to verizon DSL and my home computer to that router.
The router's gateway is 10.16.1.1
That's the number of the DSL box that my router sees.

My router has NAT.
Is this why I can ping the internal NIC of m0n0wall, but not anything
else on the LAN behind m0n0 using ipsec?
If I log into m0n0wall gui, I can ping the server from the m0n0 GUI, but
not from home using ipsec.

If I had this setup with a wireless laptop in an internet hotspot in
public, does anybody know if this would likely work?

Thanks in advance,
Joe