[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jon Wicks <jmwicks at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Game server's port listed incorrectly in master listing
 Date:  Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:37:46 -0400
There is something weird going on with the dedicated servers I put up
behind my m0n0wall.  When I put up a Counter-Strike Source server
running on port 27015, the server comes up in Valve's Steam master
listing as running on port 9895.  If I increment the local port by 1 to
27016, the master lists an incremented port also at 9896.  I found out
this info by querying the master server with QStat (http://www.qstat.org
- looks to be down now though) using the following command from linux on
another network:
qstat -stma2s,game=cstrike,region=0,status=dedicated 68.142.72.250:27011
|grep 71.251.230.34
Result: A2S  71.251.230.34:9895 no response
In the query above, 71.251.230.34 is my WAN IP and you see the server
being listed with the weird 9895 port.
When I forward port 27015 in my router, clients can connect by going to
71.251.230.34:27015.  But if I want clients to connect from the server
browser list, my server shows up as 71.251.230.34:9895 so I have to
forward WAN port 9895 to the LAN port 27015 to let them in.
This issue happens with both the old hlds and newer source dedicated
servers.  My server's OS is Win2k3, and no software firewalls are
installed.  All of my other port forwards are working properly - SSH,
HTTP, FTP, etc.

What is causing the master server to list me at this obscure port?  Is
this an issue on Valve's end or a problem with my packets going out the
door through m0n0wall?  Any help you guys have to offer will be much
appreciated.

Jon