[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple WAN lines
 Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:34:40 -0500
Using m0n0wall only, no.
If the DSL provider supports this via shared gateway on the same IP
range.  I'm doing this with m0n0wall and my DSL connections to get 3.0
Mbps (1.5 Mbps each) but you don't really get combined bandwidth, what
you get is two IP addresses on the same WAN interface that you can
firewall/NAT to wherever you like. You won't get combined bandwidth when
downloading for example.  You'll need a switch to plug to all 4 Ethernet
connections from the DSL modems into, then one Ethernet into the
m0n0wall, then using Proxy ARP entries in m0n0wall to pick up the 4 IP
addresses.  You still need to reserve one IP address as the main WAN of
m0n0wall as well, so really just 3 Proxy ARP entries for the other IP
address.  They have to be static IP, this won't work on 4 DHCP assigned
DSL modems with m0n0wall.

You won't get 24 Mbps for a download, but you'll have 4 "channels" of
bandwidth to use, so you can dedicate one for web servers, e-mail,
personal web surfing, etc.  Otherwise, you'll have to look at another
firewall software package.

Thanks,
Michael