[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  Andreas Ferrari <aferrari at stasoft dot ch>
 Cc:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bad tcp cksum
 Date:  Wed, 04 Oct 2006 08:13:29 -0700
I think Neil is just saying it may be worth exploring other possible
reasons for the email to be failing rather than focusing on the bad TCP
checksums, which may or may not be related (is that right, Neil?).  It
seems to me that that woulds be a indication of part of the problem,
though, but it may confuse the issue.  For example, are you certain that
the Postfix server doesn't have problems with large emails in general?
I was having an issue with a mail server that had memory corruption due
to memory timings in the bios that ONLY failed on very large email
transfers (over 1.5 meg) and it took me quite a while to discover the
cause, or even the problem, since none of my users reported it for a
very long time.

If it were me, I would try sending large emails from other locations to
verify the server is functioning properly (just to discount that as a
possibility), then I would try sending large files from the M0n0 VPN via
FTP to see if the failure is specific to SMTP.  I would suspect memory
on the M0n0, or the network card.  I have found with M0n0wall that using
IPSEC changing the type of compression makes a difference with MTU
issues (PPTP doesn't have that option). Finally messing with MTU
settings is the only thing left, and I have had very significant
problems that were hard to correct with MTU (just changing this and that
didn't work - it required very deliberate changes on a number of systems
along with reboots in some cases) running M0n0wall to Windows systems
specifically.

I hope it resolves easily!

Jeff