[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  vpv at ak7 dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Request: DHCP, wildcard DNS, Connection-specific DNS Suffix
 Date:  Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:33:48 -0500
Request:  Please create an option in DHCP where the m0n0wall domain will NOT be
passed via DHCP to the DNS suffix search list or the connection-specific DNS Suffix.

Background:
I had a client who was experiencing DNS lookup problems on some of their windows
systems.  The ones that worked had fixed IP addresses, the ones that didn't used
DHCP.

Using ipconfig /all I discovered that the DHCP systems had the domain name
assigned to the m0n0wall server in the DNS suffix search list and
connection-specific DNS Suffix fields while the fixed IP machines did not.

When an nslookup was run the DHCP machines would append domain.tld to each query
and return an answer, the same answer, to any DNS query.

The Problem:
They recently moved their web hosting (and DNS) from in-house to a hosting
company.  That company has a wild card in their dns. (*.domain.tld) and that
wild card was matching the lookups because the suffix was appended to each request.