[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kristian Shaw" <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSEC + NAT
 Date:  Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:20:12 +0100
Hello,

If I understand you correctly:
-The m0n0wall would be performing NAT for clients behind the LAN interface.
-The WAN interface would be assigned a public routable IP address

In this scenario IPSEC would work fine so long as the remote site also had a
publicly routable WAN address (as you have suggested).

IPSEC would not work if the m0n0wall WAN interface was assigned a private IP
address (10.x, 172.16.x, 192.168.x etc) with the cable router statically
NAT'ing to this address (e.g. 1:1 NAT on the router).

Regards,

Kris.