[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael MacLeod" <mikemacleod at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  LAN interface becomes unresponsive when modifying WAN interface settings
 Date:  Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:47:31 -0400
Whenever I change the WAN interface settings for m0n0wall, the LAN interface
becomes unreponsive. I uncovered this recently when changing from DHCP to
PPPoE because my cable connection had gone down, but I also have a DSL
connection. Immediately after hitting the save button, the LAN interface
becomes completely unresponsive. I was able to determine that the changes
are successfully applied to the WAN interface properly, and the WAN
interface is perfectly responsive after hitting the save button. The only
way to regain the LAN interface is to reboot the machine from the console.
When the system comes back up, the WAN interface changes are there (but we
knew that already, as it works even when the LAN interface doesn't), and the
LAN interface works great, until the internet connection goes down again and
I have to make another adjustment...

Background:
build: generic-pc 1.22 and 1.23b1 tested, problem persists in both
cpu: PII400
mem: 64megs (never seen it over 40% used)
image installed on hard disk, as is config file.

LAN -> vr0 ( 192.168.1.1)
WAN -> ed0

ISP1: Rogers Extreme Internet
ISP2: Bell High Speed DSL (dry loop)

Typically, the Bell connection is used only for a single machine, but I am
able to create two PPPoE sessions through it when the cable goes down.

Any suggestions?

cheers
Mike