[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall hangs
 Date:  Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:37:20 +0200
Hallo Krist,

Krist van Besien schrieb am 09. October 2006:

>I run m0n0wall 1.22 on a WRAP board. Last night the router hung
>completely.

You might wish to use the search function on the mailing list
archives. The issue was hard to reproduce and occurs "only" on a
minority of m0n0wall installations.

I do not expect a solution for the current 1.2 m0n0 branch, since the
project is moving towards a more recent FreeBSD and more recent
software (the current elderly software is suspected to be the
culprit).

Although the pfSense project is kind of "bloated" for embedded systems
(that is of course just my personal opinion), I moved to pfSense since
early 1.0 pre-releases and have not experienced the hang yet, uptimes
of about 90 days were no problem, I never had more than 14 days on
m0n0, sometimes only a few hours uptime.

Some major pains in the neck for pfSense-embedded were fixed with the
current 1.0-RC3 as well. Boottime is reduced, applying firewall rules
is much faster and the major pain of re-flashing the CF card
(embedded), rebooting, restoring config, rebooting again is gone as
well: pfSense-embedded is now upgradeable.

Although I am rather content at the moment, I still am a big fan of
m0n0wall (besides: without it there would have been no pfSense) and am
planning on returning to m0n0, once the hangups seize to occur.

Best regards   Frederick