[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0 & Wrap board experiences?
 Date:  Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:30:42 -0400
YvesDM wrote:

> I'm looking for new hardware for a bunch of m0n0's.
> Wrap boards are affordable, so I'd like to know how they hold up with
> m0n0wall.
> I want to use them in hotspot locations, so with quite some users at the
> same time
> and captive portal enabled. I always use external AP's.

Depends on how many users you're talking about.  DHCP tends to chew up
a lot of memory (m0n0wall runs entirely from RAM, including the DHCP
leases database) with hundreds of simultaneous users, which has caused
problems for people here in the past.  If you'll be under 100 users,
and need less than 40 Mbps of throughput, a WRAP should work well for
you.  If you need more than 100 users or more than 40 Mbps of
throughput, you need to look at something bigger (faster proc and more
RAM).

As to how well they work, I have more than a dozen in the field, and 3
at home, and have never had any issues.  There are likely thousands of
m0n0wall installs on WRAP hardware, they work well.

-Chris