[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0 & Wrap board experiences?
 Date:  Tue, 10 Oct 2006 06:13:18 +0200
On 10/10/06, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Depends on how many users you're talking about.  DHCP tends to chew up
> a lot of memory (m0n0wall runs entirely from RAM, including the DHCP
> leases database) with hundreds of simultaneous users, which has caused
> problems for people here in the past.  If you'll be under 100 users,
> and need less than 40 Mbps of throughput, a WRAP should work well for
> you.  If you need more than 100 users or more than 40 Mbps of
> throughput, you need to look at something bigger (faster proc and more
> RAM).

No, I don't have over 100 users at the same time on the same nas.
All hotspots are now running on PII 400MHz machines with 128MB ram, and they
hold up perfect.

As to how well they work, I have more than a dozen in the field, and 3
> at home, and have never had any issues.  There are likely thousands of
> m0n0wall installs on WRAP hardware, they work well.
>
> -Chris

Tnx Chris, this was the answer I was looking for ;-)
I just wanted to be sure before I buy one to try.

Many tnx
Yves