[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper - bandwidth virtual pipe + static pipe for small packets ?
 Date:  Tue, 10 Oct 2006 07:48:28 -0400
I use a virtual pipe (pipe 9) to set the upload BW of my desktop computer to
450 Kbs, followed by a high priority rule for small data packets from my
computer.  I naturally have to use a completely different queue and pipe
combination for the small data packet.  The second rule is queue 1
associated to pipe 1.

How does this small data packet from my desktop computer get sent out to the
Internet at a BW of 450 Kbs on virtual pipe 9, AND ALSO get high priority
using a completely different queue and pipe combination (queue 1, pipe 1)?

This question could be asked about any other uploaded data packet (large or
small) coming from my desktop computer, whereby the upload BW from my
desktop computer was first set to 450 Kbs, then followed by the second
uploaded data rule.

My question is:

I understand that the first traffic shaper rule that matches (going top to
bottom), is the one that is used. That would be the BW rule here.  So how
then can the high priority ever be applied to small packets, after having
the BW set to what I want for the desktop computer?

It seems that if I ever want to apply BW settings for any computers on my
LAN system, that I might not be able to apply any queue/pipe rules, after
using a virtual pipe to set the BW for the computers?

Same thing could be said, if the queue/pipe rule came first, and then the BW
setting.  Then it seems the queue/pipe rule would apply and the BW setting
wouldn't work?

Thanks much for your help.