[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paulo Meireles <paulo dot meireles at exxpert dot com>
 To:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall on ASTLINUX
 Date:  Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:49:51 +0100
> another option is a Linux or even Windows install as the base OS, then
> run m0n0 and AstLinux in two separate VMs. Now, *that* is ugly, but
> technically, it works and uses only one machine :)
>
> the OP, however, is probably better off slapping a CD drive and a
> floppy drive into any old Intel box, add a couple NICs, and call it a
> day - or a dedicated firewall.

Virtualization is an ugly beast that you learn to love with time. I find
running several VMs on a single server (eventually with adequate
redundancy, like ECC, RAID et al) actually more elegant (and
energy-saving, and reliable, and silent... you get the point) than
having old desktops running business-critical software. My main issue
here is the hardware reliability; if you can survive a hardware failure,
go for it. However, this reminds me that some things are free if and
only if you don't value your time.

Paulo