[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Michael MacLeod" <mikemacleod at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LAN interface becomes unresponsive when modifying WAN interface settings
 Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:26:19 -0400
On 10/11/06, Michael MacLeod <mikemacleod at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I did the flip, and changed from DHCP to PPPoE. Same problem. LAN side is
> completely unresponsive. No output to the console (at least nothing within
> the minute I waited). I wasn't in a position to verify whether the WAN
> interface updated to the PPPoE connection successfully before I had to
> reboot the machine, though that was the behaviour I'd seen before I switched
> the cards.
>
> So, we can assume that it's not the cards, as the behavior is consistent for
> whichever one is the LAN or the WAN card. Any other ideas?

My only idea at this point is your ISP is using something on the same
IP subnet as your LAN, and when the PPPoE comes up, your WAN side has
an IP within the same subnet as your LAN and hence m0n0wall gets
confused.

What I'd try next is changing your LAN subnet to something completely
different.  Like if it's 192.168.1.0/24, change it to 172.16.0.0/24,
or something like that.  In case they're using a 192.168.0.0/16
somewhere, make sure you're entirely off that space.

-Chris