[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  bfe interfaces no longer detected
 Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:23:37 -0400
Hi, Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot a NIC not working in
recent m0n0wall builds.  I have a machine with four Broadcom NIC's in
it, two of BCM4401 (bfe) and two of BCM5788 (bge).

On all the builds that I've tried the bge interfaces work just fine
(that is they show as available in the interface assignment menu).

On the 1.2 series (tried 1.2, 1.21, 1.22, 1.23b1) the bfe interfaces
aren't detected.  I have an image of 1.2b7 (found at chrisbuechler.com)
which detects the bfe interfaces properly and they work great.  When I
tried m0n0wall on this hardware about a year ago whichever version was
current then also detected the interfaces.

I found at:

http://svn.m0n0.ch/wsvn/wall/trunk/build/kernelconfigs/
M0N0WALL_GENERIC?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

that support appears to be enabled:

   device		bfe		# Broadcom BCM4401 10/100.

or, at least that's what it looks like with my limited BSD knowledge.

Suggestions for next troubleshooting steps appreciated.

Thanks,
-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing dot com           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/