[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Myers <scott at paperstreettech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VMware based M0n0wall routing on the same server as a standard linux firewall... (recipe for disaster part 1?)
 Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:36:57 -0400
Working on a network where I need to include an additional routing
device in front of the firewall so I can route multiple public IPs to
machines behind this device.   I am wondering with the server I am
building if it would be a sound decision to use a VMware based machine
solution to this problem, where m0n0wall sits on the virtual machine
with it's own interfaces as well as the secondary machine behind it.

I may try it to see what the results are, but just wondering if anyone
here has an opinion on the scenario. I have thought about security
concerns, (the core VM machine will be a non network accessible linux
based distro running selinux, and the vmmachine will not be routing any
addresses to the any virtual interfaces.  I will use multiple ethernet
ports/cards to satiate the 4-5 ports I would need to do this.

Any thoughts/ banter/ ridicule is appreciated. :)

Scott