[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kristian Shaw" <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall to M0n0wall Ipsec tunnel does not connect
 Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:07:26 +0100
Hi,

Perhaps the other device was automatically forwarding NETBIOS broadcasts
across the VPN link. If that was the case then I'm not surprised that
browsing wasn't very reliable.

In my experience a WINS server is still necessary for anything other than a
small network on one subnet. Whilst DNS takes care of the name resolution
requirementss of Active Directory, the Network Neighbourhood still needs
WINS to work quickly and reliably.

Kris.