[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eldorado <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Unable To Determine Why Outbound SMTP Does Not Work
 Date:  Sat, 21 Oct 2006 03:16:00 -0700
Lee Sharp wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 00:58 +0000, Vadim Pushkin wrote:
>> Hello;
>>
>> I've been using monowall for my home for quite some time, now I wish to use
>> it for bigger things but I am baffled as to why I am unable to get outbound
>> smtp from inside my LAN.  I have very simple rules and setup.
>>
>> My internal network is 192.168.1.0, my m0n0 box is 192.168.1.1
>
> Many ISPs filter smtp.  That is most likely your problem, as I am
> running mail servers behind many m0n0walls.

Many ISPs who think they are smart block port 25, but do not understand
that port is for MTA (Mail Transport Agent) use to move message.

The port to inject a message into the system is the "submission
services" port, which is 587.  Try setting that as your SMTP port.
Works on my ISP, which blocks inbound 25, but not 587.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS and/or its Customers and is
intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
are not the intended recipient or it appears that this e-mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner
is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster at mphasis dot com and
delete this mail from your records.