[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Odd Behavior: Or how to check your memory
 Date:  Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:18:03 -0400
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On 10/20/06, YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com> wrote:
>>
>> I think you are saying,  most of the total lockup's are hardware
>> related,
>> and not related to monowall itself.
>> Well, that's exactly my experience  too.  I had lockup's before when
>> using
>> the onboard intel nic on my compac SFF EN series.
>> I started to use Realtek's in every box and I didn't have any lockup's
>> anymore, not a single one!
>>

> And I guess this goes to show the general conventional wisdom with
> hardware selection isn't always true - most people here would tell you
> to stay far away from Realtek anything and use Intel cards.  In this
> case, Compaq must have done something screwy with their onboard Intel
> cards.
>
> -Chris

Either that or the fact that the Intel NIC performs differently in some
way puts a different stress on the CPU and/or memory systems.  That
doesn't appear to be the case here, but just because something causes a
problem to show up doesn't always mean it's the cause of the problem,
only that it's the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. :)

In this case it may well be the case of going to the doctor and saying
"It hurts when I do this."  The doctor responds "Then don't do that."
The symptom has been treated, but the problem is still there.