[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Odd Behavior: Or how to check your memory
 Date:  Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:46:28 -0500
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:18:03 -0400, you wrote:

>Chris Buechler wrote:
>> On 10/20/06, YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you are saying,  most of the total lockup's are hardware
>>> related,
>>> and not related to monowall itself.
>>> Well, that's exactly my experience  too.  I had lockup's before when
>>> using
>>> the onboard intel nic on my compac SFF EN series.
>>> I started to use Realtek's in every box and I didn't have any lockup's
>>> anymore, not a single one!
>>>

>> And I guess this goes to show the general conventional wisdom with
>> hardware selection isn't always true - most people here would tell you
>> to stay far away from Realtek anything and use Intel cards.  In this
>> case, Compaq must have done something screwy with their onboard Intel
>> cards.
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>Either that or the fact that the Intel NIC performs differently in some
>way puts a different stress on the CPU and/or memory systems.  That
>doesn't appear to be the case here, but just because something causes a
>problem to show up doesn't always mean it's the cause of the problem,
>only that it's the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. :)
>
>In this case it may well be the case of going to the doctor and saying
>"It hurts when I do this."  The doctor responds "Then don't do that."
>The symptom has been treated, but the problem is still there.

Just to open another can of worms, I have run across two systems now where
defective power supplies caused onboard Intel gigabit CSA ethernet ports to
fail.  In both cases, disabling the ports in the BIOS restored functionality and
a separate Intel gigabit PCI adapter was used until the power supplies could be
replaced.