[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Should masked pipes have masked queues ?
 Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:40:38 -0400
I have masked pipes (virtual pipes) set up for customers.

I have queues that I would like to use for each of these customers.

Question(s):

Should I be using masked queues (virtual queues) whereby each virtual pipe
will get a set of its own virtual queues?

Or, should I use a set of static queues?  This will all allow more data to
build up in a smaller set of static queues.   As the data comes out of these
static queues, each data packet will then go to the proper speed virtual
pipe, based on the IP address of the source of that data.  I have several
different speed up and down pipes, whereby data coming out of the queues
goes to the proper speed pipe based on rules I have set up using CIDR codes
such as A/26.  I can then allocate certain speeds to each of the
"sub-subnets".  If a customer wants to buy a certain speed from me, all I do
is assign an IP address within the range of IP addresses for the speed I
want.

I'm not sure if I should be using masked (virtual) queues or static queues.
Any help and info welcomed.

Thanks,

Bob