[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Charles Trevor <ct dot lists at qgsltd dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  What platform needed for 100mbit routed between LAN and DMZ?
 Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:09:46 +0100
Hi All,

I'm a medium term lurker (and very happy user) but a first time poster.

I'm using wraps in several locations, and am slowly moving services from
  being in the Lan to DMZ subnet at head office. I'm looking at moving
the  mail server next which has c. 50 users, both on and offsite. The
majority of the onsite users (which is the majority of all users) use a
bandwidth hogging MAPI pluggin. I'm concerned that the WRAP wont give me
the throughput I need, as I gather 40mbit is as much as a wrap will
route (from Chrises tests of a year or two ago).

My question to the list is, if it turns out my fears are right, what is
the must cost effective way of getting 100mbit ish between LAN and DMZ?
I'm happy to buy a new 1u box if needs be, but would rather avoid the
expense if possible. Policy dictates new kit only, and I would tend to
buy HP DLs through inclination so I cant buy a no-name pc from ebay. I
wondered whether one of the bigger embedded systems, like one of the
mini ITX systems from VIA as sold by www.linitx.co.uk would do?

Anyones experiences or thoughts would be gratefully received.

Charlie