[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Guy Boisvert <boisvert dot guy at videotron dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] can i adadpt my linux traffic shaping rules to monowall?
 Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:05:12 -0400
Mark Ryan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I currently use ipcop on an old machine and I love it however I am
>>> interested in moving to an embedded box with monowall.  I wrote my own
>>> custom traffic shaping rules for linux and I would like to know if the
>>> same setup is possible with monowall.  Here are my rules:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> # clear out the chain and setup a new chain
[Stuff deleted...]
>>> tc filter add dev eth1 parent 1:0  prio 2 protocol ip handle 3 fw
>>> flowid
>>> 1:12
>>>
>>> These rules work perfectly for my setup.  They cap my ftp server to
>>> 100K
>>> and when an email is sent, the email has priority.  The sharing and
>>> priority setup is also great so that the higher priority root class can
>>> borrow from the ftp if needed.  They also allow the small ack
>>> packets to
>>> get priority so that downloads dont suffer.
>>>
>>> Is this possible with monowall?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

> Unfortunately the docs for the traffic shaper are sparse.  Not enough
> detail to learn without actually installing monowall and hacking away.
>
> Maybe I will just buy a WRAP package and just go for it, figure it out
> later.  If I can't get monowall to shape like I want, I could always
> use something else I guess.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark (and everybody on this very dynamic list!),

You could use VMWare server (which is free) and download a pre-installed
image;

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/vmware/

I use VMWare since a couple of years and it has been invaluable for me.
It's a great software for testing.

Hats off to mOnOwall & pfSense!  I have boxes running around the world
and i'm very satisfied!

Guy Boisvert
IngTegration inc.