[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: What platform needed for 100mbit routed between LAN and DMZ?
 Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:37:43 -0500
From: "Forest Bond - Logic Supply" <forest dot bond at logicsupply dot com>

> I've done some minor testing of VIA hardware (PD and CL mainboards; newer
> boards
> like the EK boards should be substantially faster), and have found that,
> for
> simple routing and packet filtering on a 100Mbps network, the speed is
> effectively capped at the max ethernet wire speed.  I measured
> approximately
> 85Mbps bi-directional throughput.

I have implemented a lot of older VIA boards.  I have not had the bandwidth
requirements you have, but I have been very happy with them.  The onboard
VIA chipset is fast, and well supported.  If you use another solid nic (like
Intel or 3com) you should have no unusual loads.  However, if your second
nic is a RealTec, you may have a significant impact.

                                Lee