[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall locking up
 Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:26:04 -0400
Hello Lee:

A friend of mine also uses Monowall on a PC and it works great for him.  He
uses his in a WISP situation.  I will be using mine in a WISP situation real
soon.  I even have my door hangers made up and will be handing them out very
soon.

Although I still feel a little unsure of myself concerning Monowall, from
what I see, I love Monowall.  The only difficult part was me trying to learn
the traffic shaper.  Information was hard to come by.  But I think I have
some intricate Rules.like I'm using CIDR numbers to pre-select several up
and down speed pipes (virtual), and then I'm trying to use queues applied to
those virtual pipes.  To make it worse, I'm not a networking guru - lol.

I was responding to another thread to let them know mine worked fine, but I
forgot to put in the "Re" in order to get my comments under their thread.
But they will probably see this anyway.

I hope I'm responding properly here.  That is, I took your response from the
list, and pasted it in my Outlook and typed in the subject.  I hope that's
the right way.

Monowall is great.  I just need to learn more about how to use its vast
capabilities.  That would be real neat if there was a good book on Monowall
or if someone real knowledgeable in Monowall held classes.  I'd go to the
classes, even if it was in California (and I'm in PA).

Have a nice day,
Bob

From: "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>

> I'm still learning about Monowall, but I thought I'd say that my v 1.22
> Monowall on a WRAP board hasn't needed any rebooting at all.  I have been
> working and learning about it over about the past 4 months.  It just runs
> and runs.  Maybe I'm lucky.   I have an OPT1 port and a LAN port.

> Although I am a little worried to see that others have the lock up
> problems.

While you hear about ALL of the lockup problems here, you do not hear from
the thousands that run just fine.  I have over 30, and I have not seen the
problem either.  It is a real problem, but it seems to be quite rare.

                                Lee