[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Hoy Poy <chrishp at dugeo dot com>
 To:  Mark Ryan <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] traffic shaper borrowing
 Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:42:56 +0800
no, its *extremely* effective at smoothing the traffic when you have it set
near the right bandwidth. Dont forget that the traffic shaper can only have
limited effect on incoming traffic anyway, as those packets are sent from the
upstream provider.

I had a few problems with ADSL routers that had low buffers, and normal
traffic to them would flood them so much they'd disconnect from the net (so
the net connection would see-saw under load). The traffic shaper effectively
stopped this, and under load the traffic would be nicely smoothed (and still
responsive, so the acks/nacks were getting thru in a timely fashion etc).

//chris

--
Chris Hoy Poy
System Administrator