[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  FW: [m0n0wall] Dynamic pipe...virtual pipe. What's the difference?
 Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:36:40 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Young [mailto:bob at lavamail dot net]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:35 AM
To: 'Klaus Stock'

Hello Klaus:

Thank you so much for your reply.

May I ask you a couple other questions?

1.  You said: "A pipe is virtual when it's not physical".   The pipes can be
either masked or not masked.  Isn't a non-masked pipe called a static pipe?
From what you said here, is the static pipe then, also called a virtual
pipe?

But I use to think a masked pipe was called a virtual pipe.  Now I'm not so
sure.   Are saying a masked pipe or a non-masked pipe is a virtual pipe?

2.  You said:  "A pipe is dynamic when it adjusts it's bandwidth according
to some rules  (like allow less or more bandwidth for a certian address
range).

From what you said here, I'm thinking that a static pipe (non-masked pipe)
can be made dynamic, when queues are applied to the static pipe.  The reason
I say that is, queues can prioritize different types of protocols with
weights, and then send that data on to the static pipe.  I believe those
queues will determine the percentage of BW allocated to that particular
protocol as determined by the queue.  So if no other queues are being
utilized than that data will get 100 % of the BW of that static pipe.  But
if there are 2 or 3 queues (with different weights) assigned to that same
pipe, then the different types of data will get proportionately less BW as
determined by the queue weights, and all that data will still flow through
the same static pipe.  So we can say the BW has "dynamically" been reduced.
And if only one type of data starts to flow through that same pipe, then its
BW will "dynamically" increase.

Is that what you mean when you say the pipe can be dynamic?

3.  As far as masked pipes, I don't think they can be dynamic, since masked
pipes are created for each different source that has data flowing. And when
data stops flowing, these masked pipes go away.

I'm not sure what to call these masked pipes.  They aren't dynamic I
guess...that is the masked pipes don't increase and decrease their BW, like
a static pipe would with queue weights.  But masked pipes are created "on
the fly" whenever data flows from a source or to a destination.

But I guess masked pipes aren't specifically "virtual" since I guess static
pipes can also be called virtual.  I guess I should just call them masked
pipes?

Am I thinking correctly about all the above?

Thank you,
Bob Young