[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Auto Launch A Browser
 Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:52:00 -0400
Haywood, Tim John wrote:
> What I am looking for is method similar to those used by some hotels I
> have stayed in, where you are given a login at reception, when you
> connect to the hotel network, it automatically fires up IE and present
> the login page.

I am traveling quite a lot, and I use in-room Internet connections a lot
(both wired and wireless), and I always have to fire up a browser
manually to log into the captive portals. I have never seen the browser
automatically fire up, and if that would happen, you could probably hear
a "double-you tee eff" shout across the floor. If you think about it, my
machine only talks to the DHCP server at this point, nothing else, and
firing up a browser would mean this server was able to execute code on
my machine. There should be no way that a DHCP server or anyone else can
execute *anything* on a client. Do you know which hotel you have seen
that and maybe which service they use? The only thing I can imagine is
that this is some weird Microsoft "feature" with a non-standard DHCP
option, something like a "start default browser" flag.

Sven