[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Toro <jimtoro at LIWebTech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Setup for new firewall
 Date:  Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:28:33 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
I'm new to firewalls so please dont kill me.I am fiddling around
with m0n0wall and need to do this:

PC's  --- SWITCH --- FIREWALL --- Router --- Internet

All the PC's are going to the switch and the firewall will sit
inbetween the switch and the router. We have two Class C networks
All public addresses, no private stuff:

   Lets say:   1.2.3.xxx  and 1.2.4.xxx

and our router is configured to accept both on the same interface. So
if any one on either network wants to go "out" they pick their
network's gateway IP and put it in their settings.

          1.2.3.1 is one gateway
          1.2.4.1 is another gateway

What I am not sure about is what m0n0 needs in order to deal with both
on the LAN and WAN side.  Since each interface gets an IP and the networks
will have IP's on the pc/switch and router side of the firewall for both
networks (pc's on the lan side and the router on the wan side) I am not
sure what exactly to do.

Would it be better to add a third NIC and split
the network to two switches that take only their network IP's to the
individual NICs on the firewall or is there a simpler way that I am
not sure about.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.