[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Janvrin <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Proper traffic shaping setup across two instances of m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:21:50 -0500
First off, thanks for looking  :-)

Our network topology has changed recently, and I'm looking for some
guidance on the best way to set up our traffic shaping rules across two
instances on m0n0 on two Soekris net4801 routers. Our current setup
looks like this:

4 bonded T1s (6.0Mbps total up/down) muxed together via an Adtran 924e IAD
Router1: Soekris net4801 w/lan1641 card for a total of 7 ports-running
m0n0 1.22
-Internal subnet 192.168.1.0
-VoIP gateway DMZ 192.168.2.0 (separate WAN IP routed via 1:1 NAT)
-Stats server DMZ 192.168.3.0 (separate WAN IP routed via 1:1 NAT)
-Admin subnet 192.168.4.0

Router2: Soekris net4801 w/lan1641 card for a total of 7 ports-running
m0n0 1.22
-WebServer DMZ 192.168.5.0 (separate WAN IP routed via 1:1 NAT)
-WebServer2 DMZ 192.168.6.0 (separate WAN IP routed via 1:1 NAT)

The way I have the traffic shaper set up currently Router1 is allocated
2Mbps, and Router2 is allocated 4Mbps total bandwidth. What we are
finding during our testing is that Router2 needs more bandwidth during
peak usage periods. Ideally, Router2 could use another Mbit for a total
of 5Mbps. If I reconfigure the traffic shaper on Router2 for a total of
5Mbps I will be taking needed bandwidth away from the stats server and
VoIP gateway on Router1.

If it helps, the peak traffic periods of each Router are at different
times during the day. Aside from not using the traffic shaper at all (or
adding more T1s) is there any way that I can safely add pipe limits to
one Router without hurting the other one?

Thanks in advance for any input available.

Chris Janvrin
Dover, NH USA