[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ole Barnkob Kaas <obk at tet dot dk>
 To:  Aaron Cherman <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall locking up
 Date:  Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:00:44 +0100
Aaron Cherman wrote:
>>> I'm still learning about Monowall, but I thought I'd say that my v 1.22
>>> Monowall on a WRAP board hasn't needed any rebooting at all.  I have
>>> been
>>> working and learning about it over about the past 4 months.  It just
>>> runs
>>> and runs.  Maybe I'm lucky.   I have an OPT1 port and a LAN port.
>>
>>> Although I am a little worried to see that others have the lock up
>>> problems.
>>
>> While you hear about ALL of the lockup problems here, you do not hear
>> from the thousands that run just fine.  I have over 30, and I have not
>> seen the problem either.  It is a real problem, but it seems to be
>> quite rare.
>
> I hate being rare.  haha  Lee is right, although I have one system that
> locks up I have 4 others that run flawlessly.  My one "system" that does
> lock up, has been thoroughly tested and replaced many times - it seems
> to be the location and perhaps some rogue data from our Internet
> connection that causes the issue.

I've seen some weird "lock up" issue with m0n0wall on a GSHDSL
connection. Apparently the box (soekris 4801) was locking up quite
often. I suspected that the problem was related to OpenVPN, so I
replaced the m0n0 with pfSense (allso on soekris 4801). Only to see that
the problem persisted. Going through the logs of my OpenVPN server I
found that it died every 4 hours. The logs also revealed that the box
was still trying to restart the vpn after it "died". It seemed that the
response from the server never reached the box (or any other traffic).

The DSL modem was a zyxel box with built in switch where the m0n0 and
some other equipment was connected to. Both with public address. That
other equipment was fully functional and reachable all the time.

Restarting the DSL modem after or before the lock up did not postpone or
solve it.

This was at a remote location and I've never been at the location
myselv. The connection has now been replaced.

/Ole