[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anson Ringenoldus <ansonr at spruitje dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Idle Curiosity - m0n0/Similar Used for "Big" Installations
 Date:  Fri, 3 Nov 2006 11:12:46 +0100
>On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:08:11 +0000, Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm wondering if someone can satisfy my curiosity here...
>>
>>1. If you were an ISP and you wanted a router to aggregate several
>>hundred user's DSL connections together, would it be possible to use
>>m0n0wall/BSD - with appropriately fast hardware and good GBit NICs - to
>>act as a traffic shaper?
>
>Yes your could.  Attention would need to be paid to hardware and software
>related uptime issues.
>
>>2. Does anyone actually do this? Not m0n0wall necessarily, but using BSD
>>for this kind of thing.
>
>Many startup ISPs use BSD for just this sort of thing.  I have also seen ISPs
>that used Sun OS for similar functions.

Hm, i've seen the processor load on my soekris 4521 with and without polling.
Without polling it's around 75 to 80%.
With polling 2%.
So, with gigabitcards is it wise to use polling?
I haven't had a change to test monowall on another machine with gigabit cards.
Anybody any experience with monowall and gigabit ethernet cards.
And with and without polling?
Mvgr,
Anson

Toasty the toaster (Red dwarf)