[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Idle Curiosity - m0n0/Similar Used for "Big" Installations
 Date:  Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:08:11 +0000
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can satisfy my curiosity here...

1. If you were an ISP and you wanted a router to aggregate several
hundred user's DSL connections together, would it be possible to use
m0n0wall/BSD - with appropriately fast hardware and good GBit NICs - to
act as a traffic shaper?

2. Does anyone actually do this? Not m0n0wall necessarily, but using BSD
for this kind of thing.

3. What other routing platforms would be up to the task? The main
feature I'm interested in here is the delay facility built into m0n0
(and I presume available in BSD in general). Do Cisco etc offer any
products that can add arbitrary delays like this?

Thanks very much :)

Chris Taylor