[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Myers <scott at paperstreettech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Could use some advice as to where to go from here
 Date:  Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:55:17 -0500
I wish I could recap all the info I have received over the last month in
regards to my issue with this running version of m0n0wall and my current
problem.  I will happily repost all the forum conversations that have
transpired thus far, but here is the guts of it.

Soekris 4511 (2 eth ports, pcmcia and mini-pci slot)
Mono 1.2
I am basically using the m0n0wall as a firewall/router for a network at
a local restaurant.
I need to be able to have a separate LAN IP Subnet/ and or Interface for
Public Traffic within the network, as well as the Private LAN that the
restaurant uses for outbound and inbound traffic to it's business
computers/ servers/ etc.
I would like to be able to have a simple blurb on a captive portal page
before public users log-on
I have tried using a Senao Wireless card (listed as supporting hostap
mode) but it's performance is slightly less than useless, it essentially
drops packets and causes issues as a wireless ap

I am now considering using a PCMCIA card for an ethernet interface and
just attaching an AP to that separately, but it appears the BSD 4.X
based version of m0n0wall I use (1.2) doesn't support 32bit card bus,
(16 bit only, does this explain the abysmal performance of the wireless
card?)

SO my question is.. what's the "best case scenario" and come up with in
this situation? I have spent an extra couple hundred bucks for the card
and omni i have, so any way to do this without throwing another couple
hundred at it would be a plus.  Please, any advice is appreciated, I'd
like to get this resolved before it turns sour.

Thanks in Advance

Scott

P.S. anyone interested in stats from previous issues/ config files etc.
email me and I'll repost them