[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Idle Curiosity - m0n0/Similar Used for "Big" Installations
 Date:  Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:20:42 -0500
On 11/3/06, Anson Ringenoldus <ansonr at spruitje dot org> wrote:

> Hm, i've seen the processor load on my soekris 4521 with and without polling.
> Without polling it's around 75 to 80%.
> With polling 2%.

I don't recall the specific details offhand, but that number with
polling is misleading.  You will get more throughput through the box
when using polling, but you'll also max out your hardware when your
CPU will almost certainly not show as being pegged.

> So, with gigabitcards is it wise to use polling?
> I haven't had a change to test monowall on another machine with gigabit cards.
> Anybody any experience with monowall and gigabit ethernet cards.
> And with and without polling?

Unless you have substantially more CPU than you need for your given
network throughput, using polling should always give you a performance
boost, at the cost of very slightly higher latency.

-Chris