[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Janvrin" <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Proper traffic shaping setup across two instances of m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:09:18 +0500
On 10/30/06, Chris Janvrin <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com> wrote:

> The way I have the traffic shaper set up currently Router1 is allocated
> 2Mbps, and Router2 is allocated 4Mbps total bandwidth. What we are
> finding during our testing is that Router2 needs more bandwidth during
> peak usage periods. Ideally, Router2 could use another Mbit for a total
> of 5Mbps. If I reconfigure the traffic shaper on Router2 for a total of
> 5Mbps I will be taking needed bandwidth away from the stats server and
> VoIP gateway on Router1.
>
> If it helps, the peak traffic periods of each Router are at different
> times during the day. Aside from not using the traffic shaper at all (or
> adding more T1s) is there any way that I can safely add pipe limits to
> one Router without hurting the other one?

It wouldn't be safe.

You have 6Mbps and if you set up pipes of 2Mbps + 5Mbps you risk
totally messing up the traffic on both if Router 2 starts using up
more than 4Mbps when Router 1 is using 2Mbps.

Is there a reason why you can't have a single Router handle this
setup? Maybe setup VLANs instead of separate interfaces? That way you
could use Queues which would be able to share out traffic. What you
have right now is Pipes which conflict.

sai